Tuesday 13 January 2015

FINAL: Literature Review

Literature Review

Laura Parkinson
Consumerism and fairytales

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grimm Brothers (1812). Grimm Fairytales. Germany

The stories from the Grimm Brothers in Grimm Fairytales have been the main inspiration for my photographic research and practice. I mainly focused upon the stories from Snow White, Hansel and Gretel and Red Riding Hood, and pulled quotes from them about food and drink that were consumed during the stories. Quotes such as “it’s apple pies that make the mensfolks’ mouths water” and “lets drop these bread crumbs so that together we find our way home, because losing our way would be the most cruel of things”. These quotes will formulate the text for my experimental advertisements in preparation for my actual project for my final major project module.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jennifer Ann Hill. (2011). Endangered childhoods: how consumerism is impacting child and youth identity. Media, Culture & Society. 33 (3), 347-362.

Jennifer Ann Hill wrote about the effects that advertising culture has upon the younger generation, which relates to my research into the Disney culture and how it sells. She cited from Jhally saying “to not be influenced by advertising would be to live outside of culture. No human being lives outside of culture.”. She also comments on the fact that “children become socialized in consumer cultures their childhoods will have been so shortened that many will scarcely remember a time when they were not operating as a consumer”. It was an insight into the statistics relating to consumer culture and how advertisements and photography can make people want a product or an object when it is made out to be ‘designer’ or ‘in demand’.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl Warner (2012). A World of Food: Discover Magical Lands Made of Things You Can Eat!. London: Abrams

Carl Warner was the main inspiration into my food photography and is someone I would like to look more in depth to when I continue this concept into my final major project. In a book that is aimed for children, but so informative, he talks about his works and shows us his food landscapes in a beautifully printed book. His collection of work looks into how he constructed fairytale landscapes out of food and Photoshop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cindy Sherman (2003), The Complete Untitled Film Stills. New York: The Museum of Modern Art

Cindy Sherman is an influential self-portrait photographer that I have been inspired by for a number of years, and it seemed only right that I looked at my favourite book by her; Untitled Film Stills, for my research on how to take inspirational but meaningful images represented by the fairytales. Although her work doesn’t look into fairytales specifically, it gave me ideas for poses and editing techniques that I can use in my own work, especially that of making my images black and white with high contrast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Susan Bright (2010), Auto-Focus: The Self Portrait in Contemporary Photography. London: Thames and Hudson

Susan Bright’s book was my first port of call when it came to researching alternative self portraits after my initial exploration into the work of Kyle Thompson. I was mostly inspired by the work of Tracey Rose, Florence Paradeis and Ananke Asseff.

Ananke Asseff looks at “provocative hybrid of self portraiture and landscape photography”, her photographs are beautifully shot, blending the line between human and natural form. Her work, especially the piece of the photographer sitting in the snow in a white outfit from the series “Fragments of Paradise” inspired me to look for surreal weather conditions to take my photographs in, such as snow, fog and rain.

Florence Paradeis give the impression of a mysterious and well planned out moments from a film series, similar to the work of Gregory Crewdson but more artistic and dramatic. “Her photographs are carefully orchestrated to create oblique mis-en-scènes which, at times, are both cinematic and theatrical”.

Tracey Rose looks at personal and national identity from her own stance, and considers the identity of herself with her strong Catholic upbringing and varied ancestry background. I was not inspired by all of her work, but mostly by the image titled “Ciao Bella, Ms Cast, Venus Baartman, 2001”. It shows the photographer running in a crouched position through an overgrown field. It was the location that inspired me so much, and made me think more about my images and where they were being taken.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicole S. Young (2011), Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots. London: Peachpit Press

I have not taken food photography images before, so reluctantly I decided to take to Amazon and purchase a food photography tutorial book for beginners to get used to the lighting and set up needed for professional food photography. The author of this book is a full time freelance food and commercial photographer, and her experience and knowledge was so beneficial in influencing my practice and I feel now that I have gained so much more knowledge in food photography and they really helped my final images appear much more professional.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment